Saving the image in the background

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Jul 31 00:23:36 UTC 2006

On 30-Jul-06, at 10:28 AM, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

> Tim,
>
> let me understand the difference between the "regular" process
> priority when a save/+-/quit is done from a menu and when it is
> done at userBackgroundPriority. In both cases the shutDown list is
> executed and sensors and processes (and other facilities) are made
> aware that they must become quiet now because it must be possible
> for them to come to live on another platform.

Correct.

> If there where any problem(s) at userBackgroundPriority, wouldn't
> they be the same at the UIProcess's userSchedulingPriority?

Same problem but higher likelihood of them happening, I think. You
might consider some critical section protection to avoid interruptions.

The problem at PPS I mentioned happened because the customer had a
background process that ran the snapshot primitive rather than the
entire snapshot sequence. Thus the snapshot file on disc had a lot of
objects in indeterminate state. Not a happy thing for a payroll
processing program.

tim
Strange OpCodes: CAO: Compare Apples to Oranges