Monticello Configurations help

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Thu Jun 1 21:27:21 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Ok, I got Monticello Configurations working.  I have to admit I was thinking
about ENVY configuration maps when I saw this and was hoping that Monticello
Configurations would work much the same way.

I loaded up the squeakSource image (thank you Cees for hosting the image and
Torsten Bergmann for creating it http://de-1.tric.nl/~cg/images/ )  ported
my code to 3.9a, stored all my changes.  Then I created a test configuration
and it worked.  I was very happy.

When I went to modify the configuration after doing an update, it did
nothing.  Storing did nothing.  It didn't give any indication that it was
going to do nothing.  I think that the intention is for the user to provide
a unique name for each configuration and when a name is reused it does
nothing, so I provided a new name and that worked.  Thinking ahead I could
make this work by providing my own version numbering of the configuration,
but looking around there doesn't seem to be a way to purge the old
configurations from squeakSource.  The configuration is not visible from
squeakSource, and it appears to be hidden in data files, so deleting it
manually seems problematic.

Am I missing something?  I would like to be able to version off
configurations and purge old version when necessary, or I would like to be
able to modify definitions.  Is any of this possible?  Is there another way
to manage multiple packages load them all at once and save configurations of
multiple packages?

Also when defining a configuration and adding a repository it said that only
http is supported.  This was why I went looking for and setting up my own
squeakSource.  But when storing a configuration it asked me where to write
it and it worked when writing to a directory.  Assuming that the stored
repository on the configuration is to be used as the source for loading a
configuration, why doesn't the configuration support other repository types?
Should I be storing versions of packages on squeakSource and configurations
on a directory?

Thanks for your help!

Ron Teitelbaum