Another GOODS issue: BlockContext's

Benjamin Pollack benjamin.pollack at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 00:04:54 UTC 2006

On 6/1/06, Ken Causey <ken at kencausey.com> wrote:

> I seem to remember this coming up in the past but a quick Google search
> doesn't turn anything up.  It appears that GOODS is quite happy to store
> a BlockContext but it entirely unable to reinstantiate it.  It attempts
> to use BlockContext (ContextPart) class>>basicNew: which throws a
> 'Contexts must only be created with newForMethod:' error.  Quite a PITA
> when you want to store something in a SortedCollection.  Oh well, I
> guess I can call OrderedCollection>>sortBy: every time I add a new item
> since adding is a comparatively rare action.

Hi Ken,

Is there a reason you can't use one of the data structures in the BTree
package?  Those can be stored and retrieved from GOODS and are faster if you
have a big collection of data anyway.

On a different note, I'd swear that a Seaside project I did about two years
ago stored a SortedCollection in GOODS. I'll see if I can't find that image
so I can tell you either what workaround I used or figure out what changed
to break that behavior.

--Benjamin