VM crash

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Sun Jun 4 22:05:58 UTC 2006

Am 04.06.2006 um 23:42 schrieb Jecel Assumpcao Jr:

> Bob Cowdery wrote on Sun, 4 Jun 2006 13:12:12 +0100
>
>>         memcpy((void *)results, a, 4096*sizeof(float));
>
> I haven't looked into interfacing with the VM at all and so am
> probably
> saying something really stupid, but I would think that results[0]
> would
> hold the object's header and overwritting it would cause really bad
> things to happen.

That's what I suspected, too.

So, you have to convert between Oops and C pointers, for example
using #arrayValueOf: if you know your Oop is an array, or
#firstIndexableField: for the general case. Also, be sure to look at
the generated C code, and attach it for reference.

Besides, this question would be well-suited for the vm list.

Third, Bob, since nobody seems to have told you yet, it would be nice
if you would send plain-text messages. I don't like having to crank
up the font size for every of your messages. And your Confidentiality
Notice is sort of nonsensical when posting to a public mailing list.
Thanks.

- Bert -