The assignment character in 3.9 and onward

Chris Muller chris at funkyobjects.org
Wed Jun 7 18:53:21 UTC 2006

> Did you try to understand Morphic code or any code that you did not
> wrote and that is more than
> 30 lines with conflicts?
> Then you would like as much as possible not to have extra conflicts
> just because _ is used in one version and := in another.

Oh yeah, I *have* been enlightened to that; not fun at all.  But I
attribute that pain to the preference
#syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeAnsiAssignment being on by default.  The
sheer audacity of that preference being on by default is quite frankly
amazing to me.

Worse, our "solution" appears to be to extend the tyranny with
"required universal compliance".  We're actually gonna go back and
update original authors code with someones stylistic preference rather
than simply defaulting syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeAnsiAssignment and
syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeLeftArrowAssignment to false.  Sad.

Personally, I would never impose my own personal style on someone else.
 When someone makes changes to my code and sends it back to me, I would
never update it solely for style.  I appreciate and respect different
authors styles, and even recognize some added value over homogeny;
*cough* I mean "consistency".

I support your work and your+community's decisions, Stef.  I even
helped facilitate this movement toward forced compliance; since I
wanted to make sure we didn't also destroy the historical author/time
information in the process.

Now I'm just trying to figure out if I need to stop typing left-arrow..
what are the consequences for my disobedience..?

thanks..