How safe is this?

Chris Muller chris at funkyobjects.org
Wed Jun 7 19:33:27 UTC 2006

> I was trying to avoid unnecessary complication and definition
> transfer since
> I'm moving data from squeak to squeak, ...

If all you need is to move objects from image to another image, my
instincts would be the same as yours; TSTTCPW is to...  just use the
facilities needed to accomplish that.  Implementing some outside format
just to move data is going to require more implementation effort than
just doing it yourself.

The only reason I've ever been inclined leave object-land and use
committee-developed formats is to accommodate foreign system
requirements.  And, I might add, its never been a problem because
interoperability is relatively easy when you can source from pure
objects; compared to, say, trying to go from one standard format to
another standard format.

Case in point was a system I worked on where they used XML CLOBs to
represent a large portion of their domain model.  This freed them from
a lot of DBA tyranny but brought on parsing hell.  SAX parsers were
everywhere, with filters feeding other filters, and mysterious XSL bugs
(ever try debugging XSL?).  Half the code was just maanging the
difficult XML format.  Whew, talk about a nightmare.

 - Chris