The assignment character in 3.9 and onward

Andrew Tween amtween at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 7 19:40:04 UTC 2006

> Oh yeah, I *have* been enlightened to that; not fun at all.  But I
> attribute that pain to the preference
> #syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeAnsiAssignment being on by default.  The
> sheer audacity of that preference being on by default is quite frankly
> amazing to me.

When Shout is installed, the value of #syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeAnsiAssignment
is set to the current value of the #ansiAssignmentOperatorWhenPrettyPrinting
preference, and #syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeLeftArrowAssignment is set to its
negation.

In hindsight, this was a mistake. It would have been better to default both
preferences to false, as you suggest. However, this was in no way an *audacious*
attempt to force ansi-assignments onto people, rather it was an attempt to
conform to the preferences that they had already set.

I will fix futures releases of Shout so that both preferences are off by
default, which should make things easier.
Cheers,
Andy