The assignment character in 3.9 and onward

Viktor Svub gilrandir at centrum.cz
Thu Jun 8 12:05:00 UTC 2006

This discussion isn't here for the first time, and i can only repeat
myself:
*yes*, the "pascalish" ":=" assignment is ANSI and it should be used as
default for all the out-of-the-image things,
*yes* "left-arrow" *is* nice,
*but* we really need underscore as a standalone ascii character (for
example, i'm using underscores in a *lot* of directory names).
I don't really see a real reason why the "<-" aka
"ascii-compliant-left-arrow" possibility (though more "describing" than
":=" ) gets ignored everytime...