The assignment character in 3.9 and onward

David P Harris dpharris at telus.net
Thu Jun 8 17:27:18 UTC 2006

Esthetically I would like to see assignment *displayed* as a
left-arrow.  This is the original Smalltalk usage, and I think it is
elegant.  Just because technology limits this use, is not a reason to
reject it or prevent it.  However, we should support ANSI standards.
Therefore, this should be made a preference, defaulting to ANSI.  I
think the argument it is more similar to other languages is a non-starter.

Practically, more than one form of entry should be acceptable, and again
should be included in the preferences.  Whether this be in an editor, or
in the parser is arguable and good arguments have been made.  Underline
should probably be defaulted off, to allow the use in file names, etc.

As for off line storage of code, I would agree that we should support
ANSI standard, as it would allow the greatest reuse in different
Smalltalks.

David