Keycaps??

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Jun 10 19:53:49 UTC 2006

You should indicate which macintosh VM and version you are using.

Under os-x you go to system preferences, the international icon,
select the Input Menu tab and ensure the "Show input menu in menu
bar"  is checked
that should show an icon in  your menu bar which you can select, then
from that menu select "Show keyboard viewer"

Under os-x the keystrokes are given as key down, key char and key up
events to Squeak. These values are given in MacRoman, Unicode, and
keyboard keycodes with depending on how they are entered, either from
the keyboard or via an keyboard input palette. Usually the MacRoman
values are given after os-x translation services had decide what to
do with the multiple keystrokes involved.

The three key board events are then mangled by Smalltalk code into
what you actually get in Morphic, and of course differently in Tweak.

You need to give a bit more information about the keyboard  you have
set in os-x preferences, which keystrokes you are using, what you
expect that keystroke to give you
say in TextEdit, and what happens in Squeak.

On 10-Jun-06, at 11:44 AM, Jim Rosenberg wrote:

> How do I discover how to type typographic quotes on a Mac? I'm
> discovering some of the combinations just by trial and error --
> e.g. for double-quotes option-shift-l option-shift-h seems to work.
> For the single quote I have option-shift-j for the opener and ???
> -- I can't find the closing single quote. (In the MorphicFontEditor
> it shows me this as character D5.)
>
> Where did this keyboard mapping come from??
>
> More generally, how do I get the whole keyboard mapping? MacOS
> classic has a program called keycaps that shows all the characters
> from various shift-ish combinations.
>
> How do I "discover" the keyboard mappings? This is really frustrating.
>
> Is there a reason these key mappings don't follow "standard Mac"?
>
> -Thanks, Jim

===