Reinventing. Was: SummerTalk and Icalendar

Gary Fisher gafisher at sprynet.com
Tue Jun 20 09:59:31 UTC 2006

>> Yann: "I was thinking of a nice webinterface, but google beat me on that
;)"

>> Philippe: "So what would be the goal of this project? . . . reinvent the
wheel?"

It might be useful to note that the wheel has been reinvented many, many
times, in forms as varied as clock gears, grain mills and jet engine
turbines.  While each varies in its expression and implementation of the
concept of "wheelness," none could be called the perfected form of wheel
which obviates all others -- to the contrary, each has in turn led to
innumerable reinventions of itself, most of which did not eliminate but
rather added to what had gone before.

Google has done many things well, and some very well, but nothing Google has
accomplished can be said to have perfected the art to such an extent no
improvements or adaptations are possible.  The trick is to look past Google,
to pursue a vision not of what Google or any other innovator DID but of what
they might -- or ought to -- or could -- have ASPIRED to.

We don't need stronger oxcart wheels, we need pneumatic tires.  Or perhaps
maglev.

Gary

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0625-1, 06/19/2006
Tested on: 6/20/06 5:59:34 AM