Monticello change log history?

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Tue Jun 20 11:27:07 UTC 2006

Am 19.06.2006 um 22:08 schrieb Andreas Raab:

> Avi Bryant wrote:
>> I don't understand what intermediate history you're saying is
>> getting lost.  Each version of the package is self contained and
>> carries the entire version history with it... is it just that you
>> can't diff against intermediate versions because they aren't in
>> the repository?
>
> Well, maybe I'm not expressing myself very well ;-) Really, what
> I'm looking for is something like a "CHANGELOG" file, e.g., a
> summary of the log entries since version X. If that information
> (the log entry for each version in the history) is readily
> available I'd love to find out how to use it to generate such a
> change log between version X and Y. Basically just a summary like
> this:
>
> Croquet-Copier-ar.6 (4 April 2006, 6:58:05 pm)
> - replace underscore assignment with colon-equals
>
> Croquet-Copier-ar.5 (7 March 2006, 8:02:41 pm)
> - Homebase-Hedgehog integration
>
> Croquet-Copier-ar.4 (31 January 2006, 10:48:12 pm)
> - fix endian conversions for the copier
>
> This was created by going to the hedgehog repository and http://
> hedgehog.software.umn.edu:8888/hedgehogRC.html and extracting the
> information from the accessible versions. Unfortunately, if an
> intermediate version (Croquet-Copier-ar.5 for example) isn't
> accessible there is no way of finding out what exactly has changed
> in that version.
>
> So if this information is indeed readily available please let me
> know where and how (and perhaps I can convince a SqueakSource
> developer to add the change log to the actions for a package
> version?).

There's an incremental logging facility in MCConfigurations:

	MCConfiguration whatChangedFrom: someOlderConfig to: someNewerConfig

It logs added, removed, and modified packages, and for a modified
package the comments for all intermediate versions. For individual
packages it uses

	MCConfiguration changesIn: aPackage from: oldInfo to: newInfo on:
aStream

- Bert -