Proposal for a Squeak migration meeting

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Wed Jun 28 14:41:57 UTC 2006

On Jun 28, 2006, at 4:26 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

>>> But generally I think the time is right for us to "burn the disk
>>> packs!".
>>
>> +1
>
> The main problem is who would do that? Since we are not even able
> to harvest fixes.
> Now what we can do is to perform an audit of the assets we have and
> their status:
>
> - NewCompiler (nearly there and could be APSL/MIT/Squeak-L)
> - Tweak ?
> - OmniBrowser
> - MC
> - YAXO
>
> I have the impression that we cannot restart from scratch without a
> clear analysis of the current
> status.

For what it's worth, I can verify that I do own copyright to all the
code I've contributed to Squeak. I've refused to sign the
Intellectual Property Agreement proposed by just about every employer
I've had, and instead negotiated agreements that left me in control
of my contributions to open source projects. (Smallthought is the
only company I've worked for where this wasn't an issue.)

That means that most of OB and a good chunk of MC are "clean" from a
licensing point of view. It wouldn't be too much work to track down
the other contributors and either get similar verification or excise
their contribution.

Colin