TypeInference: File based way of thinking

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Fri Jun 30 14:38:33 UTC 2006

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 15:05:04 +0200, "Damien Cassou"
<damien.cassou at laposte.net> said:
> But we are working with a live system with classes and their instances.
> It may be interesting to look at the instances of a given class and then
> get the type of the instance variable you want. If there are multiple
> instances of the class, we have to merge the results.
>
> Is it a good idea ?

Yes, it's easier to implement, at least.  Vassili Bykov wrote exactly
such an instance-based inferencer (or "type collector") for Squeak, and
I included it in my Whisker browser so that it shows the types for
instance variables in the browser when it can.  See the Whisker Browser
on SqueakMap, or at
http://www.mindspring.com/~dway/smalltalk/whisker.html .  (Better to use
with 3.8 at the moment... I need to put out the 3.9-compatible version
soon.)

See the "Whisker-VB-Type Collector" category for the implementation of
the type collector.

- Doug