TypeInference: File based way of thinking

Alexandre Bergel Alexandre.Bergel at cs.tcd.ie
Fri Jun 30 14:56:37 UTC 2006

> I'm currently interested in type inference. RoelTyper works by:
>
> - searching all messages that are sent to instance variables
> - searching all affections to instance variables
>
> I think this is the kind of things that can be done on file based
> languages (dynamically typed).

It is not the only way to infer types with dynamically typed languages.
For instance, let's assume you have:

a := A new.
self foo: a.

Then you can infer than foo: takes a type A as argument.

I know that Lex Spoon worked on a type inference system.

> But we are working with a live system with classes and their
> instances.
> It may be interesting to look at the instances of a given class and
> then get the type of the instance variable you want. If there are
> multiple instances of the class, we have to merge the results.
>
> Is it a good idea ?

Maybe be interesting to couple this with testing...

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.cs.tcd.ie/Alexandre.Bergel