Grandfather of Smalltalk gets Turing Award [ACM Announces 2005 A.M. Turing Award Winner]

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Fri Mar 3 08:07:30 UTC 2006

Hi Dan,

on Thu, 02 Mar 2006 19:47:15 +0100, you <Dan at SqueakLand.org> wrote:

> "Klaus D. Witzel" <klaus.witzel at cobss.com>  wrote...
>
>> as you can see from the below, a grandfather of Smalltalk (Peter Naur:
>> Algol, Backus-Naur-Form BNF) receives the 2005 Turing award.
>
> With all due respect to Peter Naur and his significant contributions to
> computer science, I'm not entirely comfortable with the characterization
> "Grandfather of Smalltalk".  He is certainly grandfather of a lot of
> current programming technology but, as one who was present at the birth
> of Smalltalk, I can say that our entire focus was to provide a
> fundamentally different computing model from that of Algol.

Sure, that is what evolution is good for, at least :) Let me add that I
respect your position, by all means.

I was thinking about Algol->Simula->Smalltalk when I saw the grandfather
relation. Hope you don't mind :)

BTW: I'm keen to see whom ACM will credit the invention of virtual memory,
or does anybody know that this was already done?

/Klaus