[Goodie] Profile It Menu Item

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Mar 3 18:47:40 UTC 2006

On 3-Mar-06, at 10:29 AM, Ken Causey wrote:

> Stef,
>
> It pops up where you would expect it in the first context menu under
>
> do it (d)
> print it (p)
> inspect it (i)
> explore it (I)
> debug it
> tally it
>
> and then
>
> profile it
>
> for example in a Workspace or Transcript.

I think we're getting well beyond any sense in the UI here with so
many near-redundant options. Generally it is a bad idea to stray far
from the idiom of "7 items +/- 2" in a menu.

Perhaps someone with recent experience of the right parts of Morphic
could make some decent hierarchical menus for us to use?

What I'd like to propose is a menu that has entries like

find> *1
copy
cut
paste> *2
do it> *3
print it
accept
cancel
more> *4

where the entries with > can be chosen the normal way to find, past,
do it OR by moving right over the > open a submenu with further
options related to the main one

*1>set search string
      find again
      replace

*2>paste item 1
     paste item 2
   etc from paste history list

*3>print it
     inspect it
     explore it
     debug it
     tally it

*4> ack. Have you looked at what's in the 'more' menu recently?

The crucial implementation detail to make this at all usable would be
very rapid handling of the menus. Using a submenu entry would need to
be as simple and quick and press menu button, move mouse to main
entry, move across submenu arrow, move to submenu entry, release menu
button.

tim
EBCDIC: Erase, Back up, Chew Disk, Ignite Card