[Q] Squeak feature bounties

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Mar 7 08:08:13 UTC 2006

On 07.03.2006, at 01:28, Russell Allen wrote:

> I have been thinking lately about Software Bounties. Increasingly,
> large
> open source projects are providing mechanisms for people to put up a
> bounty for a particular feature - the first person to implement the
> feature gets the bounty. The feature is then made available to
> everyone
> under the standard open source licence.
>
> Examples:
>
> * http://www.gnome.org/bounties/
> * http://www.ubuntu.com/developers/bounties
> * http://bountycounty.org/
>
> The bounties aren't equivalent to the commercial cost of writing the
> software, so it is not a straight forward case of hiring a programmer.

> What are the opinions of the people on this list?

We have already discussed about bounties on the SqF board list,
and it would be interesting to know the opinion of people about this.

I personally think having a platform for posting/managing Bounties would
be very nice to have... I can't say I have a clue of how good this
works,
but it would be an experiment we should do.

> Although I am sadly not a billionare like Mark Shuttleworth :)

I think he made something like 550 million with selling Thawte... not
that
there is any practical difference, though ;-)

Ubuntu has a lot of interesting infrastructure to learn from: e.g.,
they have
a web-based system for managing translations:

https://launchpad.net/rosetta/+about

           Marcus