[Q] Squeak feature bounties

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Mar 7 14:38:56 UTC 2006

On 07.03.2006, at 11:00, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Marcus Denker wrote:
>>> What are the opinions of the people on this list?
>> We have already discussed about bounties on the SqF board list,
>> and it would be interesting to know the opinion of people about this.
>> I personally think having a platform for posting/managing Bounties
>> would
>> be very nice to have... I can't say I have a clue of how good this
>> works,
>> but it would be an experiment we should do.
>
> Hasn't this experiment already been tried? It looks like
>
> 	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2653

Hmm... I don't know if we should count a random, not very widely linked
(and known) wiki page as an existing bounty plattform...

> contains a list of enhancements with bounties in the range of $100
> to $1000. AFAIK, none of these have ever been claimed, and I'd also
> be curious to better understand why people "sign up" for these
> bounties (if they do sign up at all - I wonder how many of these
> bounties just go to people who happen to work on the problem anyway).

Yes... it would definitely interesting to know what kind of
experience other communitues have with bounty sytems before
starting one. Maybe it does not work? I have no idea.

The Google Summer of Code thing seems to be quite successfull,
though. And the amount of money there was in the
range of typical Bounty amounts ($3000, I think). For a Student, this
is a lot of money...

     Marcus