Squeak Legal Entity Formation

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Tue Mar 7 20:02:47 UTC 2006

Peter,

The issues regarding USA Cryptography export are already taken care of
regardless of where foundation is.  We have already notified the US
Government that we are an open source exporter of cryptography.  All US
Citizens that are contributing code are covered through that notification.
A US Citizen is only banned from packaging and sending code via email or
disk which includes cryptography directly to a banned "Terrorist" country
(or any other transport like yelling 1s and 0s or writing it down).  There
are no longer any other restrictions to posting to our repository.

[A Quick plug, if you would like to join our cryptography group please let
me know, we can use all the help we can get ron at USMedRec.com or sign up to
our cryptography team development list at:
you!].

I can not speak to other legal challenges, but I would say that having the
foundation based in the US will also help us with cryptography
certification.  It also gives us legal advice which we currently have
through the SFLC if we are US based.  Not to mention possible other benefits
to the foundation by having a non-profit US status when it comes to
fundraising.

My vote is still NFP US Non-Stock Corp, but again I'm not on the board so it
is not my decision.

Ron Teitelbaum
Squeak Cryptography Team Leader
Squeak News Team Member