squeak 3.8 slow on intel macs?

Michael van der Gulik squeakml at gulik.co.nz
Wed Mar 8 21:46:32 UTC 2006

Mike wrote:
> It seems to be slow on mine anyway.  Windows take a long time to
> appear for example, so maybe its morphic thats slow.  Or maybe its
> the entire VM.  Any one else experiencing the same?

Define "slow"...

I'm using a fairly basic Squeak 3.8. A browser in Morphic takes between
1 and 2 seconds to pop up; most other things are quicker. If I jump into
an MVC project, browsers appear instantaneously. Umm... I'm using the
refactory browser with Shout on an AMD XP 2000+ running Linux.

Apparently that's normal and its been that way for quite a few releases.
I can't really complain, because my code is usually even slower :-}.

Michael.