I'm unable to run squeak

Simon Kirk simon.kirk at pinesoft.co.uk
Wed Mar 8 15:50:03 UTC 2006

Josef Hajas <jhajas <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello, I have IBM ThinkPad T42, Gentoo with Linux kernel
> 2.6.14-gentoo-r2, using gcc 3.3.6. I have tried binary version,
> compile vm from sources (downloaded from
> http://www.squeak.org/Download/ - it is version 3.7.7) and finaly also
> install older version from portage. Always I get this:
>
> $ squeak Squeak3.8-6665full.image
>
> Segmentation fault
>
> -1796312376 FileDirectory>directoryContentsFor:
[snip]

I don't know why you're having that problem - but there is an updated ebuild for
that version of the VM that went in yesterday. It's in the unstable branch, so
you'll need to put these lines into your /etc/portage/package.keyword file:

dev-lang/squeak ~x86
dev-lang/squeak-basicimage ~x86
dev-lang/squeak-fullimage ~x86

(you can choose whether to use basicimage or fullimage)

Then emerge squeak. Note that there's a problem with the current ebuild in there
where if you've got the "threads" USE flag enabled, the compile will break. This
has already been fixed by the developer though, and should be OK by tomorrow. In
the meantime, doing:

#USE="-threads" emerge squeak

Should get you a working squeak instance, hopefully without segfaults :) It
certainly works for - although I'm using a 2.6.x kernel version (which may be
your issue).