Ask not what the board can do for you, ask rather what you can do for us all

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Mar 8 22:02:23 UTC 2006

On 8-Mar-06, at 1:21 PM, Ken Causey wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 22:14 +0100, Damien Cassou wrote:
>>> Job 3: assign it to someone plausible
>>> A lot of the time it is quickly obvious where the problem lies
>>> and you
>>> can assign the report to the right people. If you don't know the
>>> right
>>> assignee, change the report status to feedback and assign it to your
>>> best guess.  It's not like you're ordering the person to do work.
>>> What we could do with in the Mantis setup is a more useful list of
>>> assignable names; I'd really prefer to see 'VM guys', 'Collections
>>> folks', 'Windows weenie' than 'fred', 'jkr' etc. Roles are better
>>> than
>>> names for this purpose.
>>
>> It seems I can't change assignment for my bugs. They are
>> automatically
>> affected to Ken. Do I need some permissions ?
>>

> As I answered for someone else recently: You don't directly assign
> bugs,
> you set the Category field to the appropriate value which assigns
> it to
> an appropriate team.
Ah - I see. That's actually a pretty good match to assigning to a
role then, which is nice. So let's revise Job 3 to

Job 3: assign it to someone plausible
A lot of the time it is quickly obvious where the problem lies and you
can assign the report to the right people. The best way to do this is
to choose a plausible seeming entry from the Category list which  in
effect assigns the issue to a team.

There's also a useful meta-Job that anyone can do; look around for
reports that seem to be abandoned and see if you can rattle them
around a bit. Email the people who reported or commented on it; ask
if there is still any interest. Make a nuisance of yourself - most of
us can do *that* well enough.

tim
Strange OpCodes: TVO: Type Various Obscenities