Squeak on FreeBSD 6.0

Andrew Gaylard andrew.gaylard at aircom.co.za
Thu Mar 9 10:04:27 UTC 2006

tim Rowledge wrote:

> The problem here is that the VMs on squeakvm.org are hopelessly out
> of date. The 'recommended' source packages are equally out of date.
> The *only* mainstream VMs that are built with up to date sources are
> the OSX and RISC OS ones and I know that almost nobody cares about
> the latter.
>
> For goodness' sake, *3.7* based VMs? That's well before the 64-bit
> clean related cleanups for example which means that the code is
> getting tested on only a small fraction of machines.

I agree, but what's the alternative?

Must we all fetch the tree from the respository and build whatever
today's revision happens to be?

OK,perhaps I'm a bit cynical, but the last time I tried to build the
tree took 8 hours of fiddling, as opposed to under 5 minutes to compile
and install the -3.7 .tar.gz sources.  I really hope things are better
these days, since we're rapidly getting to the point where we *need* a
64-bit VM (our datasets are now beyond 1500MB).  So if you need anyone
to run some tests on a Solaris/SPARC/64-bit VM, just say the word...

Andrew.