I'm unable to run squeak

Michael van der Gulik squeakml at gulik.co.nz
Fri Mar 10 20:16:04 UTC 2006

Josef Hajas wrote:
> Hello, I have IBM ThinkPad T42, Gentoo with Linux kernel
> 2.6.14-gentoo-r2, using gcc 3.3.6. I have tried binary version,
> compile vm from sources (downloaded from
> http://www.squeak.org/Download/ - it is version 3.7.7) and finaly also
> install older version from portage. Always I get this:
>
> $ squeak Squeak3.8-6665full.image
>
> Segmentation fault
>
> -1796312376 FileDirectory>directoryContentsFor:
> -1796312480 FileDirectory>entries
> -1796312572 FileDirectory>fileNames
> -1796312948 FileDirectory>fileExists:
> -1796314856 FileDirectory class>openSources:forImage:
> -1796315684 FileDirectory class>openSources:forImage:
> -1796315776 FileDirectory class>openSources:andChanges:forImage:
> -1796317624 SmalltalkImage>openSourceFiles
> -1796326280 FileDirectory class>startUp
> -1796326436 Behavior>startUp:
> -1798257836 [] in SystemDictionary>send:toClassesNamedIn:with:

> Before segmentation fault for very short moment window is displayed.
> I'm attaching strace. Any idea how to make seqak working on my
> computer?

Now, I'm not an expert Squeaker as such. Try:

- Making sure that Squeak isn't trying to load plugins from elsewhere
than where it is meant to load them. This is a bit tricky; there are a
few places it (iirc) looks automatically. Delete them all? Rename them?
You use Gentoo, so I assume you're smart enough to work out how. In my
experience, applications loading the wrong libraries crash.

- Do you have any "odd" files in the current working directory? Try
running squeak completely from a single directory (including plugins,
image and executable).

- Are you using a 64-bit build? I'm seeing stat64() in the strace, so it
seems so. Have you tried making a 32-bit build instead, or downloading
the 64-bit VM (google for it... I'm too lazy to find a link)?

(wow... squeak looks *really* hard to find its plugins!)

The strace also has a stack trace at the end which appears to be trying
to make a snapshot? This I don't understand - it should only happen if
you save and quit the image.

I also see that neither the FilePlugin or the SecurityPlugin are found.
Do you have your plugins configured correctly?

Otherwise I'm afraid you'll have to wait until somebody who knows stuff
can help you.

Mikevdg.