Squeak for 'profesional' games

Samir Saidani saidani at squeakfr.org
Fri Mar 10 19:16:34 UTC 2006

Hi,

If I may suggest, if you are a beginner in squeak, it would be quite
difficult to enter and develop into the croquet world : best is to
start with simple things right now. As far as I understand, Croquet is
much more a beta 3D collaborative platform (and beta means that the
network abilities for a wide and extensive use is not yet stable) than
somethings which would be accessible by a classical browser : Croquet
*is* the 3D browser and the 3D server...

Maybe start with simple things, like building a little kernel of your
mmorpg and thinking this little kernel as something you can plug in
different rendering technology : Text, 2D, 3D and so one. We have
already started a thing like that, in this spirit, here :
http://www.squeaksource.com/RPGSqueak/

All this material is freely available, so don't hesitate to use it at
your own convenience. Here is a roadmap which could be interesting for
us (I'm interested by this project too).

0. Review of all available RPG smalltalk code : already done, check
   this tarball here : http://www.info.unicaen.fr/~saidani/rpgsqueak

1. Build a small, simple and beautiful kernel designed carefully for
   extensibility

1. Playing with seaside
1. Playing with Ballon3D (the 3D framework available in squeak)

(all 1 could be done in //)

2. Figure out how to add a text-based plugin for our kernel and play
   with it.

(2 must show that with a few objects in our world, we are able to play
right now : it's important to be able to test and play quickly or else
you are like a man trying to build directly a sophisticated airplane
without checking that it could actually fly in its earlier and basic
version).

3. Understanding squeak browser plugin and play through a browser and
   a squeak plugin to our simple game. (check www.squeakland.org)

4a Figure out how to add a seaside-based plugin for our kernel and
   test it.

4b Figure out how to add a Ballon3D-based plugin for our kernel and
test it.

5. Combine 4a with 4b : propose into the web browser 4b as a squeak
   browser plugin inside the seaside application. (and test it ;-)

6. Enjoy ;-)

7. See how you can propose a Croquet plugin for your kernel in order
   to play through a wonderful 3D collaborative platform.

You will probably learn a lot about squeak and programming through
 this journey. And don't stick to this roadmap, this is only a
 proposal !  Make your own roadmap according to these fundamental
 questions : is it simple ? is it elegant ? is it working ? is it
 simply extendable ? is the kernel - the essence - small ? ...

Enjoy your journey ;-)

Friendly,
Samir