pending mac vm 3.8.11b2 universal

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Mar 10 23:20:16 UTC 2006

I had hoped to push the 3.8.11b2 universal out, but we needed just
one more test, then I decided to recompile all the plugins. Because
of the platform change I'm altering how plugins are loaded, in
3.8.11b2 forward we will load them from the application resource
folder and ignore other locations unless we cannot find them in the
resources folder.  This is because non-universal plugins aren't run
under rosetta and what you get back is the plugin failed to load,
which is very confusing.

That is taking awhile to confirm and test, really the issue is that
we need a proper test suite to confirm the VM platform specific code
works as expected. For
example although we've had people poke at the universal VM for a few
weeks now, no-one realized the sound plugin didn't actually work
right because
of endianess issues, or that type and creator codes on files are
being reversed because Apple stores that meta data in Big endian form
only.

One thing that would be good are a few folks that would be willing to
run down a spreadsheet of
functionality and make SUnits to check the suggested results, not
only would this ensure the macintel
Vm is healthily it could be used to cross check answers from other VM
implementations (aka windows/unix/Risc/PDA?)

So, hopefully in a few days we should have a VM available, til then
be patient.

===