OOPAL in Squeak

Steven H. Rogers steve at shrogers.com
Sun Mar 12 13:54:09 UTC 2006

OOPAL stands for Object Oriented Programming and Array programming Language
integration.  It is presently implemented in Objective-C as part of the
F-Script dialect of Smalltalk for the Mac.

Array programming is a useful abstraction, particularly for numeric work,
that is largely orthogonal to OOP.  Array programming methods allow
extremely concise problem statements and solutions.  In the 1960's Ken
Iverson created APL (http://sigapl.org) at IBM as a specification and rapid
prototyping language.  Classic APL uses symbols to represent primitive
operations and requires a special character set.  Modern APL variants J
(http://jsoftware.ocm) and K/Q (http://kx.com) use one or two ASCII
characters to represent primitives.  Some APLs have added OO features.
OOPAL adds array programming to Smalltalk.

Here's a paper describing OOPAL http://www.fscript.org/download/OOPAL.pdf .

Regards,
Steve

Steven H. Rogers, Ph.D., steve at shrogers.com