Proposal for the coming versions

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Mon Mar 13 20:58:22 UTC 2006

Peter Crowther wrote:

>>From: Cees de Groot
>>So the user would effectively have to
>>download the image to hop across major upgrades.
>>

>So how do I carry my customised image content over between versions?  Am
>I supposed to export it and re-import it?  Is everyone?

For major upgrades, I'd suggest that this is the way to go.
When significant things change (such as redefinitions of major class
hierarchies, or modularization of the image, etc), providing an
automatic system which re-enacts this change in arbitrary images is
almost impossible.
Sometimes it works (that's where the upgrade stream gets used),
sometimes it won't.
Where it does not work, exporting code into fileouts or repositories
normally works pretty well, and saving content as project files is not
too bad either.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin