Proposal for the coming versions

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Mar 14 09:56:52 UTC 2006

Adrian Lienhard wrote:
> It would be valuable to precisely identify the problems of MC because in
> my experience it works very well for 80% of the cases (which we can't
> say for change sets -- at least what I use MC for). So, the goal for
> 3.10 (or for a dedicated "task force") would be to improve those
> shortcomings.

Start here:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-February/101071.html

If you can fix the issues listed there (class renames, incremental shape
modifications, migrations across these different versions, moving
classes/methods between packages, integration of system-wide doIts, load
order dependencies and all possible combinations of these) then I'd call
MC functionally complete to deal with full system maintenance. It'd
still be slow but at least a complete system maintenance tool. I'll stop
short of the full list, if you can show how one solution subsumes
another where possible.

Cheers,
   - Andreas