Proposal for the coming versions

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Tue Mar 14 21:00:26 UTC 2006

On Mar 14, 2006, at 10:56 , Andreas Raab wrote:

> Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>> It would be valuable to precisely identify the problems of MC
>> because in my experience it works very well for 80% of the cases
>> (which we can't say for change sets -- at least what I use MC
>> for). So, the goal for 3.10 (or for a dedicated "task force")
>> would be to improve those shortcomings.
>
> Start here:
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-
> February/101071.html
>
> If you can fix the issues listed there

wait, I've never talked about how to fix those problems. What I said
was "I see three main areas of problems" (critical issues) and a bag
of "other stuff" (still important but less than the first three groups).
What I wanted to say is: lets identify what is most critical and
encourage people to work on this now, rather than talking about what
would be the perfect solution that solves all problem (although
that's nice too).

Of course, then, everybody has different needs (for example, it seems
you care less about speed, whereas I would rather like to have more
speed than having correctly working overrides because I can work
around the latter but not the former) but I have the impression that
with some concrete steps we could already go a step forward. Let's
take the atomic load. It seems it would solve a couple of problems
(e.g., load order dependencies, moving methods/classes between
packages), no?

Adrian