about translations

Takashi Yamamiya tak at metatoys.org
Thu Mar 16 05:40:53 UTC 2006

Hi Jeroen,

> When i apply Takashi's changes over that and i start the LanguageEditor -
> the system freezes.

Thank you for the feedback. I have tested the patch on
Squeak3.9a-7006.image with 01LanguageBackport.1.cs and
02LanguageBackport.1.cs. Could you tell me which version did you try?
In any case, if you have a file named SqueakDebug.log in your
directory, please send me as it is helpful for debugging.

> I've looked through the changesets and compareed the code of the different
> images (smalland, squeakbase and squeakplugin-dev) and understand that there
> are two (or maybe more) differente branches of development ...
> But i dont understand (yet) what and why exactly is different in these
> solutions. If somebody could explain (a bit) it would be very helpfull (at
> least to me). If worth anything this helps me a lot to discover squak better
> and i've learned a great deal already by just trying to grasp all changes
> etc.

SmallLand have been made from Squeak3.7 (correct me if it is
wrong). Squeakplugin-dev is from Squeak3.8. The result is Squeakplugin
will be merged into mainstream as Squeak3.8.1 and 3.9(?), but have not
finished yet. I think maintaining small patches of translation is good
idea meanwhile 3.8.1 is comming.

> Maybe it would be a good idea to make some kind of repository of all done
> translations (if any) ?

That's great idea!

Cheers,
- Takashi