Squeak on UTF-8 system

Elod Kironsky kironsky at grisoft.cz
Thu Mar 16 10:41:32 UTC 2006

Viktor Svub wrote:

> Elod Kironsky wrote:
>
>> Petr Fischer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I can't run squeak with correct Czech language keyboard input and
>>> font output on Fedora Core 4 (UTF-8 enviroment - LANG=cs_CZ.UTF-8).
>>>
>>> -textenc and -encoding parameters didn't works (squeak 3.8).
>>>
>>> Is there any trick or how-to?
>>>
>>> Thanks, pf
>>>

>> Try to workaround the problem. There is a Czech keyboard package for
>> Squeak at SqueakMap written
>> by Vladimir Janousek.
>>
>> Elod
>>

> this doesn't work on 3.8+ and we really need the utf-8 environment...
> (there may be a possibility to rewrite the keyboard-package for higher
> versions, but i'm still kind of a squeak-beginner)

I am sure, it can be rewritten with a little effort. I will ask
Vladimir, he is on this mailing list, but I am not sure he is reading.
Another sollution is to use the developer version on www.comtalk.net.
The direct link is ftp://comtalk.net/Squeak-dev.zip It is natively
prepared for czech language I think. As an example, please see the
screenshots section at www.squeak.org. The first 2 images are from this
developer version as Pavel Krivanek is a great Seaside fan and an active
programmer in Seaside.

Elod