Preparing movie of Bryce's talk (was Re: Smalltalk party and Exupery)

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Thu Mar 16 11:14:03 UTC 2006

Hi!

Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire at ext.cri74.org> wrote:
> goran at krampe.se a écrit :
>
> > My pre-conclusion is to use the XviD codec (2 passes) with mp3 (mp3lame,
> > variable bitrate) for sound since it apparently is one of the best
> > around.
>
> My best bet on free codec (free regarding patent problems) is Theora
> (http://www.theora.org/), althought I don't know if it os suitable for
> you and your situation.
>
> Hilaire

My guess is that using something like Theora would probably make the
video "less" easily available for most people on this list. IMHO I want
to use a format that is either supported in Windows, MacOS and Linux
"out of the box" or in any of the very popular and easily downloadable
players like for example VLC.

Hmmm, but now I see that Theora is supported by VLC... so perhaps it is
the way to go? Is it "better" than XviD?

regards, Göran