ensuring an image is running

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Thu Mar 16 18:28:32 UTC 2006

Cédrick Béler wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm also looking for a way to ensure that an image is running. Does
> people know how to do that in Linux ?

The image running (as far as the OS is concerned) doesn't mean that
the image can respond to requests.

> Also, is there a way to detect if squeak is crashed but not closed ?
> (As I'm actually using seaside, maybe there is a way to know that when
> the web app return web error pages)...
>
> if someone has an idea on to that ;)

I posted on the seaside list last week, but didn't get any answers.
(The subject was: [seasidehosting] image frozen, with aside on /robots.txt).

I'm beginning to suspect that it is robot activity causing the
freeze up. Twice now, I looked at my seasidehosting log to find
a GoogleBot line near the end. My suspicion is that the robot is
hanging on to too many sockets, exceeding the file handle limit
on seasidehosting, leading to the freeze up. Anyway, I'm looking
for a solution too.

IIRC, there are some net uptime services which periodically
poll a URL to verify service - the kind that ISPs point to
to show that their servers are reliable. Something like this
could be a problem on a shared server like seasidehosting,
depending on how frequently the polling is done.