[3.9] Invisible method, missing changeset, backporting?

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Mon Mar 20 11:05:45 UTC 2006

I just downloaded 3.9a-7013 to have a look at Adrian's MC speed-up
that Marcus put into 3.9a - thanks for finding this :)

However, when browsing around, it's a bit hard to follow what changed
how, and there are some inconsistencies:

- the speed-up comes from the new category/basicCategory in Class
- introduced in 7012updateFromMC, which loaded ScriptLoader-md.153,
which resulted in changeset MC36 (*).
- however, Class>>category and Class>>category: are not in that (nor
any) changeset
- more worryingly, Class>>category: is invisible in the
SystemBrowser, because it is not in any method category.
- it might be a good idea to run a consistency check on the whole
system to make sure all methods in the method dicts are also categorized
- there is no history on Class>>category, is that because it moved
from ClassDescription (where it was in 3.8)?

What would be needed to backport this speed-up to 3.8(.1)? How did
this change get into the system? Why wasn't it recorded in a changeset?

- Bert -

(*) I added a MCVersionLoader>>loadWithNameLike: method in Monticello-
bf.279.mcz (http://source.impara.de/mc.html) which could be used to
have a more meaningful name than "MC36"