about translations

Takashi Yamamiya tak at metatoys.org
Wed Mar 22 11:39:56 UTC 2006

Hi Jeroen,

These are another change sets. (I should upload these fixes on some website
as stéphane said...)

- 01LanguageBackport.2.cs.gz
  almost same as Alberto's patch, I added a preamble and merged 0473LocaleRefactoring-tak.cs

- 02LanguageBackport.2.cs.gz
  almost same as Alberto's patch, I added a preamble.

- 03fastLanguageEditor-tak.2.cs.gz
  fix NaturalLanguageTranslator >> translated:

- 04GetTextUTF8.1.cs.gz
  export gettext file in UTF-8

Maybe, your problem will be solved with these change sets. I guess the
problem was untranslated phrases are registered in a dictionary
whenever untranslated phrases are found in String>>translated.

That is a nice idea! But current translation mechanism is not
sophisticated enough to do such trick (although, current simplicity is
an advantage in programmer's point of view). And I think we should
start to more easy goal.

Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> Now I think that the best way to deal for translation is to split the
> translation effort in department: one person to translate E-toys,
> another one for the menu, another one for a specific package
> (connectors, kedema, ...)

I agree. It is useful if a translation file can be separated in each
package (PackageInfo). I think we need a keyword like gettext_noop to
mark untranslated phrase, because sometimes #translated is called
indirectly and it does not help to find a word.

Cheers,
- Takashi