[Seaside] WeakArray (again)

William Harford seaside at harford.org
Sat Mar 25 19:12:44 UTC 2006

On Mar 24, 2006, at 9:50 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> True. From what I've seen over at the Seaside mailing list it seems
> pretty clear that the main issue is that the finalization process
> simply kicks in *way* to often. Have you guys (since you're having
> the problem I think it's appropriate if you can experiment with it
> a little ;-) thought about tweaking the finalization process to run
> at most (say) 20/sec? This is a simple change (see attached CS)
> which could have dramatic impact on your performance. The obvious
> disadvantage, of course, is that this renders any assumptions about
> "Smalltalk garbageCollect" having an immediate effect meaningless
> (which is the main reason the finalization process is implemented
> the way it is).

I made some changes like this soon after I posted a message on the
Seaside mailing list.

I also started running the Finalization process at a lower priority
level systemBackgroundPriority. I was not sure if this would cause
any problems (is there some sort of race condition I should be
worried about) but the changes have evened out my problems. It has
only been a couple days but it appears that it may have helped
mitigate some of the WeakArray finalization problems.

Thanks
Will