Monticello infinite loop

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Sun Mar 26 20:25:56 UTC 2006

In a fresh 3.9a 7020 image, i happened to have infinite loops on most actions
in the MC Browser (showing the Diffing... progress bar repeatedly).

Interrupting the process, the looping message was the #addToCache method sent
on most MC actions.

Stepping into, this was due to the storeDiffs instVar set to true for my
MCCacheRepository default.

Inspecting instVar refs and senders, the only guilty is the 'store diffs' menu
item in MC Browser.

So, i am guilty for this (unwanted) wrong manipulation, but i feel like it's a
little too easy to break things down...

Shouldn't this store diffs item be protected in case of cache repository ?
(it's easy to redefine MCCacheRepository>>#alwaysStoreDiffs as always
answering false, and thus have it ignoring the menu action, but i would not
change a code i do not understand enough).

Couldn't this item be reserved to advanced users and hidden to Monticello
novices like me ? (having an advanced submenu implicitly stating don't put
your nose therein).

I put this one in mantis http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=3359

Nicolas