SUnit: Skipping tests?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Mar 26 23:08:17 UTC 2006

Hi Folks -

I am in the interesting situation that I'm writing a few tests that
require large data sets for input and where I don't want people to
require to download the data sets. My problem is while it's easy to
determine that the data is missing and skip the test there isn't a good
way of relaying this to the user. From the user's point of view "all
tests are green" even though that statement is completely meaningless
and I'd rather communicate that in a way that says "X tests skipped" so
that one can look at and decide whether it's useful to re-run the tests
with the data sets or not.

Another place where I've seen this to happen is when platform specific
tests are involved. A test which cannot be run on some platform should
be skipped meaningfully (e.g., by telling the user it was skipped)
rather than to appear green and working.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
   - Andreas