SUnit: Skipping tests?

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 17:08:38 UTC 2006

> May be we could use method annotation to carry this kind of behavior.
> Lukas started to do something in that direction.

Yes, but what I did was in the context of SmallLint, so that methods
could be annotated to expect or ignore certain SmallLint rules. The
class LintTestCase (a subclass of TestCase) then queries these pragmas
when performing the rules and raises errors only in appropriate cases.

> For that I would extend SUnit because this idea of skipped tests is
> nice to have.

While developing the new test-runner and this SmallLint extension I
struggled with SUnit several times. Even-tough there are always ways
to subclass and configure it to suit special needs, it gets very soon
ugly and cumbersome.

After 3 years of not having touched Java, I decided to have a quick
look at JUnit 4 [1] and I must say that they changed a lot to the
positive. It makes me sad to see that SUnit still looks more or less
the same as the first time I've used it about 4 years ago. We should
really try to improve it! Imagine a newbie coming from Java and seeing
a testing-framework looks like JUnit 1.0 :-/

A new test runner should be the second step (I've done that already,
because the old one was simply causing too much pain), an improved
test-model should be the first step! ;-)

Lukas

[1] <http://junit.sourceforge.net/javadoc_40>

--
Lukas Renggli