SUnit: Skipping tests?

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 20:15:06 UTC 2006

> > After 3 years of not having touched Java, I decided to have a quick
> > look at JUnit 4 [1] and I must say that they changed a lot to the
> > positive.
>
> I look at I have the impression that this is rather complex.
> With the after before ( I can understand that you want to
> have a setup shared by a bunch of tests of the same test case
> but more...)
> I think that the descriptions in SUnit are good.

I find it rather cool to be able to put tests anywhere I want: In
Magritte/Pier I was forced to duplicate most of the model hierarchy
for the test-cases (some tests are designed to run on whole
hierarchies), what is rather annoying to maintain. Being able to put
the tests anywhere would make it much easier to navigate, browse and
maintain the tests.

I think the way JUnit is doing the tests is simpler than the one of
SUnit, naming conventions and declarations are rather difficult to
understand. Basically JUnit know 3 different kinds of annotations,
translated to Smalltalk this would look like:

- test-methods can be implemented anywhere in the system and are taged
with the annotation <test>.

- setUp- and tearDown-methods can be implemented anywhere in the
system and are taged with the annotation <setUp> and <tearDown>.

- resources are being implemented anywhere in the system and are taged
with the annotation <begin> and <end> (it took me 3 years to
understand how resources work in the current implementation).

Of course one could implement a facade to make the tests run the old
way. And subclassing TestCase would still work, for those tests that
need a more complex object setup for the tests.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch