Graphical Display of 100,000 objects

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Tue Mar 28 14:55:41 UTC 2006

Ron, tough it is not squeak related, if you can code in python I've made
a very simple opengl-based library called 'devachan':

http://www.cesaremarilungo.com/sw/devachan

10,000 objects represented as squares are 20,000 triangles, which is not
a problem for opengl accelerated cards.

The source code is in c and it's so easy to understand and modify that
you can easily add a specific function to draw your grid (and modify the
color of each square) in c to overcome the performance limitation of the
python interpreter.

If you want you can control the animation from squeak via OSC (devachan
can display its content in a system window as well as in fullscreen).

Cheers,

Cesare

Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

>Yoshiki,
>
>Ok I'll give it a try and see.  I see that it's a 100x100 display, so 10,000
>objects.  Each object would be its own turtle, I suppose, and only the color
>needs to change, there is no movement.  I'm thinking for what I'm trying to
>show that will probably be good.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ron

c.