About the #logChange error in SqueakMap

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Mar 30 11:48:51 UTC 2006

On 30.03.2006, at 12:41, Germán Arduino wrote:

> 2006/3/29, Damien Cassou <damien.cassou at laposte.net>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> thank you very much for your help, it works now.
>>
>>> 1) Start the SM upgrading.
>>> 2) When you get the DNU error, start the debugger and go to the
>>> wrong
>>> method and replace Smalltalk logChange by SmalltalkImage current
>>> logChange.
>>> 3) Hit Proceed and is done.
>>

>> Bye
>>

> Not problem.
>
> I regrett really that this is a long time reported (and assigned) bug
> in Mantis. from February 18, very simple to solve, but seems that the
> maintainer of the package has no time :(

The problem is known even longer (December or Jan), and actually the
cause is
a deprecated method that has been deprecated over 1.5 years (!) ago.

It's a one line fix, but that has to be done in a repository where I
have no access
to, so I can not fix it myself.... sorry. There is a downside of
"maintained" packages:
Nothing happens with Network for 3 Months, we have not seen a Unix vm
build since
three years, and SqueakMap is broken for 3 Months. Maybe we need to
define more
clearly what it really means to be a Maintainer. Right now I have the
feeling that
making something "maintained" is the best way to ensure that nothing
happns at all.

    Marcus