About the #logChange error in SqueakMap

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Mar 30 13:32:05 UTC 2006

On 30.03.2006, at 14:53, goran at krampe.se wrote:

>> and SqueakMap is broken for 3 Months.
>
> "broken" is a bit harsh - yes, it flunks in the current 3.9alpha or
> beta, but not in 3.8 AFAIK.
>
> Now, if/when you fix it btw - make sure that the "SqueakMap" package
> (the script) picks the correct release of base and also - check that
> your fix works back in 3.6, 3.7 and 3.8 too.

Is this reasonable? One codebase for all Squeak versions? I mean, this
would imply to add code that tests if the deprecated method has been
removed or not, or it would not to test for the version (if version
X, call method
Y, else method Z). This is bound to become very messy over time...

Wouldn't it make more sense to freeze the external packages with the
release
(to be developed much more cautiously) while forking a new unstable
branch
for the new unstabe Squeak release?

To be backward compatible in the sense that all new versions of
packages in 3.9
need to work even on old Squeak versions seems to be not really
practical...

        Marcus