Underscore conversion in 3.9 (was Re: About the #logChange error in SqueakMap)

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Fri Mar 31 11:30:18 UTC 2006

Am 31.03.2006 um 08:25 schrieb goran at krampe.se:

> Ok, I sat down last night and spent a few hours (!) on getting SM into
> shape for 3.9.
> It turned out to be more work if doing it properly. [...]
> unfortunately it contained [...]
> tons of modifications caused by automatic conversion of underscore to
> :=.
>
> Now - one question regarding that last part: Why did you replace *all*
> underscores in the source with ":=" ?!? I saw at least one method in
> which underscores *inside my String literals* had been replaced. Ouch.

That shouldn't have happened, at least not with my automatic
conversion procedure, which carefully does not touch methods that
contain underscore in literals. I hope. Of course, when going over
the remaining methods manually these might have slipped in.

What would be helpful in this case is if we had a "pretty printed
diff" in Monticello so one could see the actual changes undisturbed
by cosmetic modifications. I found it so cumbersome to merge 3.9
packages with my own versions that I gave up on it.

Any takers? :)

- Bert -