About the #logChange error in SqueakMap

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Mar 31 15:11:21 UTC 2006

> Ehmmmm... no. I have communicated quite clearly but noone has ever
> stepped up. Simle as that.
> So in short - until someone actually *does* step up - stop complaining
> about maintenance.

I'm confused. Are you saying that you do not want to maintain squeakmap.
May be I do not understand what you imply?

>>> Things did happen a bit (at least *I* did a few fixes) but I didn't
>>> get
>>> around to "zipping it all up". I think I explained it in detail if
>>> someone wanted to do the picking - but if noone does then I will
>>> eventually get around to it.
>>
>> Goran this would be good to have a list of fixes and also beasts to
>> beat to death
>> and  ask for help.
>
> I posted at least to the Network list (probably can be found in the
> I/O
> team archives today).

where can we find that?
If I want to include that in the release I should know where it is
and its status.

>> I got a lot a problem with the students (may be because they are
>> behind firewall)
>> But they get this wlkaback on error .... or should throw away the
>> squeakmap file.
>> I would really like (if possible) to get it fixed in 3.9.
>
> Sorry but I need more specifics than that. :)

I know but the problems happen always in labs with students and
stress :)
I get this walkback that says parsing error.
most of the time I trash the sm folder and relaunch. I will try to be
more precise
but I'm travelling right now.

> Ok, I sat down last night and spent a few hours (!) on getting SM into
> shape for 3.9.

Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
> It turned out to be more work if doing it properly. SM has been
> modified
> quite a bit inside the 3.9 image and that code is based on a pretty
> old
> SM version and unfortunately it contained lots of "old removed
> code" and
> tons of modifications caused by automatic conversion of underscore to
> :=.
>
> Now - one question regarding that last part: Why did you replace *all*
> underscores in the source with ":=" ?!?

Because we got a lot of problems with code comparisons (when you
integrate
code you do not want to have problems because people used Shout or not).

> I saw at least one method in
> which underscores *inside my String literals* had been replaced. Ouch.

Ok an error, sorry about that.

> Anyway, now you know I am working on this and hopefully I will get it
> out today or this weekend.

Excellent because now we feel a bit orphan :)

> I want to update the server to use the same
> code as the clients do, I don't want to be out of synch and I
> definitely
> don't want clients running different Squeak versions to use different
> code.

I understand.
There is no rush but squeakmap is an important assets of Squeak now
and we got used to it :)
Diego is harvesting his fixes and we are thinking about the
integration of ned
connectors (but this will not be for now too much overrides).

Stef