About the #logChange error in SqueakMap

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Fri Mar 31 19:17:35 UTC 2006

Hi!

karl <karl.ramberg at chello.se> wrote:

> >> Sorry but I need more specifics than that. :)
> >
> > I know but the problems happen always in labs with students and stress :)

:)

> > I get this walkback that says parsing error.
> > most of the time I trash the sm folder and relaunch. I will try to be
> > more precise
> > but I'm travelling right now.
> Sounds like the problem that happen if you open SM and it updates, but
> you don't
> save the image. Next time you try to open SM you get a error.
> Maybe a warning that you should save the image after SM is updated would
> fix that.
> Karl

I actually now think I know what it is/was. I suspect (haven't looked in
total detail) that the current code ends up making some kind of m17n
related conversion (not StandardFileStream) when saving the map so that
the .gz file actually isn't recognized as a gz file (wrong magic bytes
in the header) and thus isn't decompressed - so the actual imagesegment

Anyway, I just converted that code back to using StandardFileStream
explicitly both on save and load and I now think the code does the exact
same "good ole" thing in all versions 3.5-3.9. We will see.

I intend to very soon (this weekend hopefully) deploy this code to both
the server and to update the map entry for SqueakMap and bumping the
protocol version forcing all clients to upgrade.

regards, Göran