new Smalltalk programmer's thoughts

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Mon May 1 11:03:08 UTC 2006

Wolfgang Helbig wrote:

>The last sentences are purely speculative and Dennis might shed some light on
>them. But it is not speculative that Smalltalk is the only programming language
>that allows indexed variables and forces the programmer to use one as the first
>index. If you find another one let me know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Array lists BASIC and Fortran as having
1-based array indexing, and it even discusses some of the relative
merits of and arguments for 0-based and 1-based array indexing.
Which one is more natural is a matter of personal taste and opinion. In
most everyday programming situations I consider the 1-based approach
much more natural, but the low-level stuff where you're addressing
hardware is definitely an exception which can be handled pretty well by
implementing a specialized arrayed class which does 0-based indexing.
Having learned BASIC as a first language in school, I found C's
convention of 0-based indexing pretty awkward, until I realized that C
is mostly a kind of portable assembly language which lets you get close
to the hardware. It's not a language I would consider well suited for
expression my thoughts in a program...
The question is: do we want to let hardware characteristics dominate our
way of thinking? I at least don't. When I've got 5 elements in a
collection, I want the first at index 1 and the fifth at index 5. When
I'm using Integers, I don't want to think about 16 vs 32 bits, signed vs
unsigned etc.
The argument about loop bounds is somewhat related. I've seen quite some
beginner's C code which did "for (i=0; i<=10; i++)" to address a
10-element array :-) Seasoned C programmers don't do that anymore, but
it tells me a bit about what is "natural" :-)

Cheers,
Hans-Martin