[ANN] 3.9a7026 - Some thoughts...

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Mon May 1 21:47:19 UTC 2006

Marcus Denker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> New 39a7026 is up (Harvesting bone by Stef). Beta is coming closer...

I'm still a Smalltalk/Squeak newbie, but I want to contribute to the
development of Squeak images (mostly fixing the bugs I find while
playing with these images).

I'd like to become one of the developers of squeak images. Where can I
apply? :-)

So far, I've noticed a bunch of small things (mostly regarding the GUI)
that worked in the 3.8 images but seems to be broken in the current alphas:

- borders on rollover-able morphs are no more centered;

- the button morph gets a bit darker everytime I click on it and release
the mouse button outside of it;

- #romanString in SmallInteger is no more implemented. So selecting
roman numerals in the watch object morph raises an error.

As with every other opensource project I believe that everything should
be kept as a possible choice both for user and developers. So, for
instance, I believe Morphic should be kept and improved even if there's
Tweak in development. The same applies to Balloon3D (even if there is
Croquet).

Also, I would like to see an officially mantained bare bones image from
which developers could easily build their projects upon for a cleaner
and lighter deployment of applications built with Squeak.

What do you people think about this?

Ciao,

c.
--